March 31, 2023

How to Appeal A Property Tax Assessment

It is in your best interest to contest the assessed value of your home if you think it is worth more than what you can sell it for. The fact that property taxes are one of the largest sources of revenue for your municipality, county, and state governments must first be understood. The two components of tax assessments are as follows: the value of both your house and land.

Every six years, or every three years if improvements to the dwelling were based on building permits pulled on your property, the appraisal department is required by the Ohio revised code and Ohio administrative code to re-appraise each parcel. To win your appeal, you must know how to contest your home’s assessed value. To determine your home’s fair market value, you will need to take a lot of things into account. The auditor will examine your property’s acreage, age, square footage, recent improvements, outbuildings, decks or patios, and/or other valuable areas.

To file a formal appeal of the assessed value of your property, you should contact your local county auditor to appeal your property tax assessment. The first thing you should do is go to the office of your local auditor and ask for a copy of the property card. The information used to determine your home’s assessed value should be on the property card, which should include the following: size of the lot, number of rooms, number of bathrooms, finished basement, etc. You should inform your auditor’s office in writing of any errors in this information if there are any.

You can also fill out an appeal form by contacting the office of your local auditor, or you can submit an appeal electronically through their website. E-filing makes it simple for homeowners to fill out and submit a Department of Taxation form, which is a complaint against the valuation of real property. By doing this, they can do away with the need for a signature and a notary seal and can do it online.

Property valuation appeals will only be accepted by many Ohio county auditors during the first three months of the year. As proof of your property’s value, you should give the auditor a copy of your purchase agreement as well as a copy of your HUD statement or closing disclosure if you just bought your house.

It would be in your best interest to get in touch with a licensed appraiser to have your house valued and appraised if you have owned it for more than a year. A list of recently sold homes in your area that are comparable to your own in age, square footage, amenities, and lot size would be helpful in addition to the appraisal. When you appeal your property taxes, you should provide as much information and documentation as you can.

Use your property’s address and parcel number when referring to it. This information can be found on your tax bill. The board of revisions may use the information you provide to either increase or decrease the total value of any parcel included in a complaint. However, the greater the amount of information you provide to the auditor, the greater the likelihood that your assessed value will be lowered.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *